Image of Piedmont City Hall

Business Personal Property – Frequently Asked Questions


Completing the Business Property Statement (Form 571L)

Appealing an Assessment

Out of Business, Sold Business, or Do Not Own a Business

Appealing an Assessment
What if I disagree with my assessment?

If, after receiving your tax bill, you have questions about your business personal property assessment, we recommend that you call our office and speak with an auditor-appraiser. Staff is available Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. at (510) 272-3848, or in person at 125 12th Street, Suite 320, Oakland. However, if you are dissatisfied with the assessed value and believe it is incorrect, you must file a timely ‘Application for Changed Assessment’ (assessment appeal) with the Assessment Appeals Board (AAB) to have the value reconsidered. The AAB is an independent agency representing the Board of Supervisors and is not connected with, nor is it under the control of, the Assessor’s Office.

Can the Assessor review the value informally, without an Assessment Appeal?

No. Once the assessed value is established and surrendered to the Auditor-Controller’s Office the Assessor has no legal jurisdiction to change the value without a timely assessment appeal filed.

How do I file an Assessment Appeal?

All appeal applications must be filed with the Clerk of the Board, Administration Bldg. 5th Floor, 1221 Oak Street, Oakland, 94612. Filing information and the form may be obtained by calling (510) 272-6352 or visiting the Clerk of the Board’s website